Sunday, October 29, 2006

Choking

I set my clocks back Friday night, which was a mistake. All of Saturday I had difficulty with simple time-math. It was weird, because it was like time didn't really matter.

I was trying to eat lunch quickly today, and a piece of pumpkin spice cake got stuck in my throat. I tried to wash it down with some water, but unfortunately it didn't go down all the way and I started coughing and gasping for breath. What's worse is that I was at "linger longer," and someone noticed that I wasn't doing so well with the breathing thing and got me some napkins, and I survived to tell the tale. It was frightening because it felt like I was drowning on a piece of food. It kind of feels like it was just a bad dream. This whole day has felt dream-like. Looking back on it anyways.

Do you ever get those times when you look at your life and think, "Am I really living this, or am I going to wake up soon?" Or days when you have deja vu a lot and it seems like maybe you lived it all before? I find Slaughter-House Five intriguing for the reason that time is non-linear in it, kind of. I have a feeling that time isn't linear but it just appears that way to us. But it seems like if time were not linear, we would be unable to grow, as growth requires change contingent upon the previous minute, hour, or year.

No comments: