Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A slur, a blur

I quit my job. What a relief. Now it's either find another job or live on the cheap the next four months.

In some strange flurry, I saw Crow again last Saturday. Like snapping a rubber band, it hurts but feels so good. Love it and not sure if I should. Self-distraction to increase self-control futile.
I've got the technique but not the style. Fever and chills, high speeds and cheap thrills. Deduction and reduction, suction and corruption. I've got to stop. Whistler, crop.

I'm not sure where all the free time is going. Reading probably. More cooking. Self-doubt about my graduate program, doubt that I can actually write a paper. More online chatting. As I'm more connected online, I feel more isolated in person. So I've been trying to get out more too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well we miss you at work. With all the new people hardly anyone is very jaded. And now that Tod is becoming the new Tristan he doesn't have quite the same attitude. Your dry wit is missed.

Andrea Landaker said...

I hope you can find a good job -- enjoy the time you have! Feel free to come hang out down here if you want -- we'll do our best to distract you (though you kind of seem like you enjoy this distraction). :-)

Rachel Helps said...

Becky - that's funny. I didn't think anyone would miss my sarcasm.

Andrea - I wouldn't mind visiting again, but I do have classes that require my attendance. I'll see you again at the family reunion!

Andrea Landaker said...

Oh yeah, classes! Those things you go to school for! :-D Definitely see you in June!

Tiff said...

why did you quit?

I think you could write a good paper. Plus your professor will give you a lot of guidance. I'm trying to get a paper published and I knew NOTHING about research papers. My professor basically had to tell me the format and what I need to do, how many references, how to do intros and abstracts... what is a scientific conclusion we can draw from the data and what is not. haha. I think they expect that. PhD papers are a lot harder, but I think you could handle it when you're in that position. Things seem to be a lot worse when we're thinking about it than when we actually need to deal with the situation...