Wednesday, April 08, 2009

"today this little baby stared at me..."

Okay, for all the complaining I do about my job, there are some nice moments (even if they are shrouded in vicarious embarrassment). Today this little baby stared at me for a half-hour car ride and I got to eat cake and ice cream and watch a kid hunt for Easter eggs and open presents. Later I had to entertain a girl who wanted to play with the copier (rock-paper-scissors only works for so long). And my boss left some salad burritos which she bequethed to me. Yeah, so the pick-up parent was late and I had to stay an extra half-hour, but I can't have my cake and then expect everything else to be perfect.

I am looking forward to taking off 10 days from work though. Um, Crow (the nickname makes sense to me, just get used to it) and I hit it off pretty well when he came down to visit last week, so I'm returning the favor this weekend (the stars aligned with a ride and Rummikub-like schedule switching at work). Normally I like to plan every detail out in advance, but this was like, "okay, let's see if I can make this work, right now." -crazy!

I've been interviewing for a new job, and I find job interviews terrifying. I think condensing myself into three words is absurd, and I also think asking someone if they're good at a job is stupid. Make them do some representative work and see if you like it or not! At least we have office skills tests so I can be like, "look how fast I can type, you definitely want to hire me!" I also really, really dislike misleading (using selective information with) people in order to convince them to hire me. But hey at least I got a few interviews!

4 comments:

Eliza said...

"Salad burritos"?

I'm intrigued...

Rachel Helps said...

they were these things from Wendy's, and they had lettuce, cheese, and chicken, but with ranch dressing instead of salsa. Not sure what they were...

Andrea Landaker said...

Heh heh, sounds like a "chicken salad wrap". :-)

Two vacations! Lucky you! Have a great time!

Tiff said...

oh! good luck on your interviews. I read your title and had to read this. did you know? Babies tend to stare at people with more attractive facial features. You could subtly brag about yourself to Crow by telling him this story... lol. :)